Education Award Program
Since 2011 the Utah Higher Education AmeriCorps Network (formerly Utah Campus Compact) AmeriCorps program, has enrolled over 4,000 members that have collectively served over 1 million hours of service, mobilized and recruited over 17,000 volunteers, and earned over 4.2 million dollars in Education Awards.
UHEAN AmeriCorps recruits mostly college and university students across the state to support under-served populations throughout Utah communities. Service is provided in the following four focus areas:
- Education 1: Tutoring and other education programs for K-12 students
- Education 2: College access and success programs for K-16 students
- Healthy Futures: Preventative and primary health care for underinsured/underserved patients and patients living in rural areas
- Capacity Building: Leveraging community assets through partnerships with non-profit organizations and student service centers on a college or university campus
There are several different types of AmeriCorps programs which vary in terms of requirements as well as benefits. Currently, UHEAN runs an Education Award only program, meaning the benefit offered by this program is that of the Education Award disbursed upon successful completion of a term of service.
Three different part-time terms are available in the UHEAN AmeriCorps program, each with a different corresponding Education Award.
- 300 hours – $1252.91
450 hours – $1566.14
675 hours – $2255.24
Please note that not all institutions can offer every term hour shown above. Contact your campus coordinator to find out if the term you are interested in is available at that institution.
How to become a UHEAN AmeriCorps Member
1. You must first contact the campus coordinator at your designated college or university to ensure there are term slots available and that your service will align with the program’s focus areas.
2. After you have confirmed with your campus coordinator that there is an available term slot, you must complete an online orientation. If there are no dates or times that fit your schedule, contact your campus coordinator and they will work with you to find a time that works.
3. Once you finish the orientation, you must complete enrollment paperwork with your campus coordinator.
4. Utah Higher Education AmeriCorps Network will officially enroll you into the AmeriCorps system once we receive your paperwork and have verified that it is done correctly.
5. You may then begin your term of service with the UHEAN AmeriCorps program!